Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tom Waits - Zwolle 1985

I was 10 in 1985, which makes it possible to travel to Zwolle and see Tom Waits in his prime years (to me: 1982-1992). Of course I didn't although i was listening to his music already (trough my parents). I've seen him in 1999 & 2004 so I can't complain but voicewise and songwise this is my favorite Waits area. Waits'd released Rain Dogs in august and spend october and november touring for the album. Waits played an astonishing amount of five shows in The Netherlands (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Nijmegen, Zwolle and Utrecht).

The sound on this bootleg is pretty awesome (although I'm thinking about DL'ing the FLAC's and edit the show at some points (leaving out some of the nothing in between the songs and lowering the volume level of the applause). Enjoy this great show with a fantastic band (Tom Waits: vocals, piano, electric guitar. Ralph Carney: saxophones, horns, baritone, alto, clarinet, violin, bass clarinet, banjo, harmonica. Marc Ribot: electric guitar, trumpet. Greg Cohen: upright bass. Michael Blair: percussion, bass marimba. Stephen Hodges: drums). I mean this is his best band ever! The same that did the 1987 Frank's Wil Years tour, documented in the Big Time video and album release. Just click here, pour in some beer or whiskey, crank up the volume and enjoy!


Original release note by uploader:
Tom Waits
Buitensocieteit, Zwolle, Holland
November 7, 1985

Source: SONY ECM 929 > Sony WMD6C > Maxel XLI-S (Dolby C)
Location: Balcony (seated concert)
Taper: Reel Records
Transfer: Nakamichi DRAGON (Dolby C) > Pioneer D-05 > E-MU 1212m (digital) PC > WAV > flac
Editing: Reel Records (Soundforge, Magix Samplitude, BBE Sonic Maximizer, sev. Plug-Ins > WAV > FLAC)
Release: JJvV-2008-030-a/b
Artwork: Reel Records, included
In 1985 I bought a ticket for the Utrecht show of Tom Waits. Then found out that he was also to play at the Vrijhof, Technical University Twente in Enschede: my (old) hometown. So I got a ticket for this show also. As the 1985 tour progressed and became more succesfull and also the demand for tickets... the Vrijhof concert was moved to another (larger) venue in Zwolle. I remember that I was flabbergasted by Tom's concert, the music was great and his performance was.... Well after this magical concert I got hold of any Tom Waits LP available within 2-3 weeks.
Sound is very good (VG/EX to EX in the old days ratings).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home