Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Tom Waits - Nighthawks On The Radio

Nighthawks At The Dinner is my favorite late night album since a long time. It's Tom Waits' third album and it was recorded live in the Record Plant Studio's in front of a small audience. The band was a pure jazz band which rehearsed the songs in a five day span. Because of the small audience and the amazing jazz band this recording has a loose atmosphere that translates very well to vinyl. What's also memorable is the fact that Waits introduces the songs with storytelling that is very funny most of the time. He takes himself out for a drink and ends up at three o' clock in the morning taking advantage of himself. ("I'll confess, I'm no different, I'm not weird about it or anything, I don't tie myself up first, just spend a little time with myself") The album was recorded July 1975. 
One and a half year later Waits played another in the studio concert that didn't get an official release. Recorded December 14, 1976 at Mediasound Studios, this show was aired on the radio, on WNEW-FM. Waits had just recorded his Small Change album and the show featured a lot of songs from that album, as well as two tracks from Nighthawks At The Diner. Quality is ace. Enjoy! EDIT: New file (last one was incomplete).
1. Emotional Weather Report
2. A Sight For Sore Eyes
3. Step Right Up
4. Eggs And Sausage (In A Cadillac With Susan Michelson)
5. Jitterbug Boy (Sharing a Curbstone With Chuck E. Weiss, Robert Marchese, Paul Body and The Mug and Artie)
6. Diamonds On My Windshield
7. San Diego Serenade
8. Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets To The Wind In Copenhagen)
9. New Coat Of Paint
10. The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me) (An Evening With Pete King)
11. I Can't Wait To Get Off Work (And See My Baby On Montgomery Avenue)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home